HOME | Events | Churches | Schools | YardSale | Used Cars | Business | Featured | Real Estate | Jobs | News | Shop
Southwest Georgia
Georgia Seal

Welcome to Southwest GA
Southwest, Georgia

Southwest Georgia Southwest, GA
Your complete guide to the merchants, 
activities & services of
Southwest, Georgia

Featured Links
Terrell County Schools
TheGirlBehindTheCamera
TraciesTreasureTrove

Local / Links
Area Attractions
Business
Calendar of Events
Education
Famous People
Festivals
Georgia News
Historic Sites
National News & Sports
Places to Visit
State Parks
Religion
Sports


 


 


 


 


    






Sitemap 

Grady County, GA

Grady County, on the southwest border of Georgia, is the state's 139th county. Created in 1905 from 458 square miles of Decatur and Thomas counties, it was named after Henry W. Grady, prominent editor of the Atlanta Constitution and national spokesman for the "New South." Located on Interstate 75, Grady County is part of the "Plantation Trace Travel Region," which includes several southwest Georgia counties.

Seminole Indians originally held the land now encompassed by Grady County. The first white settlers traveled from the Carolinas along Indian trails from the South Carolina line near Augusta, across the state to Macon, and down to the southwest. Among the settlers was William Hawthorne, a Baptist minister and explorer who arrived in the 1820s and settled his family about three miles south of present-day Cairo, on Tired Creek. Some of his friends in North Carolina followed him and settled farther south, around the present-day town of Calvary. Additionally a number of white Florida settlers moved to Georgia seeking safety when the Seminole Wars began.

The county seat, Cairo, was previously called Miller's Station for a stagecoach stop named after a nearby settler, Henry Miller. In 1859 the Atlantic and Gulf Railroad began running through the settlement on its route from Screven to Thomasville, and in 1867 it established Railroad Station Number 20, called the Cairo Station after a nearby post office. Lots were sold to prospective townspeople beginning in 1866, and the town was incorporated in 1870. When Grady County was created, Cairo was designated the county seat. The police department currently occupies the old depot, built in 1905. The first courthouse, built in 1908, burned down in 1980; a new courthouse was soon built on the same spot.

Cairo and Whigham are the two incorporated cities in Grady County. Whigham, originally called Harrell's Station, took its current name in 1880 for Robert Whigham, the owner of a large local mercantile store. Other communities in Grady County are Beachton, Calvary, Pine Park, and Reno. Calvary is home to an annual "Mule Day," which swells the population of the town from its usual 200 to 60,000 or more.

Before the Civil War (1861-65), settlers made their living in agriculture. The sandy loam of the area supported a variety of food crops, and land was cleared of pine forests to allow for farming. Until railroad transportation allowed them to market their goods, most inhabitants lived by subsistence farming. This started changing with Reconstruction, when sawmills were established, rail transportation became routine, and the county broadened its economic base to include forest products as well as market crops.

The largest employers are the John D. Archbold Memorial Hospital, Paca, the Torrington Group, Wal-Mart, and Wight Nurseries.

Notable persons from the county include the writer Vereen Bell and baseball player Jackie Robinson.

Some points of interest in the county include the Birdsong Nature Center, a nonprofit nature preserve and education center created in 1986 from the former Birdsong Plantation, which was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1995; Cairo Commercial Historic District, also placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1994; and Pebble Hill Plantation, a 7,000-acre estate owned in the 1930s by Kate Harvey of Cleveland, Ohio (niece of influential senator Marc Hanna of Ohio). Used by Harvey as a winter retreat, Pebble Hill was visited often by members and friends of the Franklin D. Roosevelt family and was home to a famous herd of Jersey cattle, the Pebble Hill Herd. Pebble Hill was added to the National Register in 1990.

 


 


South West Georgia Featured Business
Featured Business Example
Includes a picture of your choice, inside or outside of business. A text description of a minimum 200 characters / maximum 250 (including name and spaces) to fit inside this box. Premium ad includes a full page description with pics.


 


 


 


INDEX |  Business |  Churches |  Community Resources |  Education |  Government |  History                     
Google

 

*Note: This website is NOT affiliated with any chamber of commerce.

Featured Online Stores

Business 1
Business 2
Business 3
Business 4

Popular Words

Business
Tourism
Information
Education

Home |  Shopping |  Articles |  Classifieds |  Recipes |  Online Bible |  Online Yard Sale
© Copyright     AdVenture Publishing    All rights reserved